Surgical First Assist- Neurosurgery Clinic
CHRISTUS Trinity Clinic
CHRISTUS Trinity Clinic West Medical Plaza Texarkana
Share This Job On
Apply Now Surgical First Assist- Neurosurgery Clinic Job in Texarkana
As defined by the American College of Surgeons (ACS), surgical assistants provide aid in exposure, hemostasis, closure, and other intraoperative technical functions that help the surgeon carry out a safe operation with optimal results for the patient. In addition to intraoperative duties, the surgical assistant also performs preoperative and postoperative duties to better facilitate proper patient care. The surgical assistant performs these functions under the direction and supervision of the surgeon and in accordance with hospital policy and appropriate laws and regulations.
• The surgical assistant is responsible for assisting the surgeon under direct and indirect supervision throughout preoperative, intraoperative, and post-operative dillies and procedures at all times.
• The surgical assistant facilitates the safe positioning of the patient according to the surgeon's preference, patient's anatomical and physiological limits, and surgical procedure to be performed. A preoperative introduction visit may be done to assess the surgical site to better aid in positioning. Assists circulator and anesthesia provider in preparation of the patient to include but not limited to: Foley catheter placement, tourniquet application, placement of intravenous catheters, cricoid pressure application, and other procedures as needed.
• The surgical assistant performs specific tasks according to individual surgeon preference utilizing appropriate techniques including, but not limited to: incision and layered closure of surgical sites, providing exposure, achieving hemostasis by means of injection, manual, and topical methods, and application of appropriate energy sources, manipulation and dissection/removal of tissues, aides in implanting, securing, and/or removal of devices and drains, and applying appropriate dressing material specific to procedure.
• The surgical assistant applies any other specific dressing material such as splints or oasts. Assesses skin integrity, assists in transfer of the patient, and follows the patient to recovery if needed or directed by surgeon.
• The surgical assistant who has appropriate training also performs under surgeon supervision other procedures including but not limited to: vein and graft harvesting, and graft and implant preparation.
• The surgical assistant performs additional duties as delegated by the surgeon in cooperation with state and local policy.
·Certified Surgical First Assist certification through National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (CSFA NBSTSA)
· High School Diploma
· Basic Life Support certification (BLS)