Storage Engineer II
CHRISTUS System Office
Occasional Overnight Travel Up To 20 Percent
CHRISTUS Corp Information Technology Center
Share This Job On
Storage Engineer II Job in San Antonio
The Enterprise Storage Engineer II - (ESE II) is a strategic position providing the highest level of technical skill and expertise in Storage Engineering as well as a tactical position involved with the execution of Storage Networking operations. The Storage Engineer II is responsible for full life cycle management of the storage environment including requirements gathering, design, implementation and support. This position has extensive technical knowledge and experience in operational maintenance, availability, capacity planning, and monitoring of critical Storage Area Networking (SAN), Network Attached Storage (NAS) and other storage related environments.
The Storage Engineer II will design and build solutions based on business requirements, enterprise architecture, and knowledge of appropriate systems and system software. Knowledge and leadership in emerging storage technologies such as IT business continuity, replication, encryption, de-duplication, storage virtualization, thin provisioning, virtual tape, storage resource management (SRM), and database cloning.
Day to day activities include storage provisioning, performance tuning, adding volumes, scripting for automating of tasks, assigning ports, error tracking, data movement, software configurations, product evaluation, and addressing compatibility issues. The position also works as part of a cross-functional team that deals with the full spectrum of technology and will fulfill the role of third level support for storage technologies, providing training and direction to other technical staff that perform the bulk of the first and second level support tasks.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Math or related field or equivalent experience (10 years) required.
- Extensive technical knowledge of Storage Area Networks and Storage Engineering to include: Interoperability, fiber infrastructure, replication, operational recoverability, storage masking, fiber channel transitions, storage routers and remote sources.
- Knowledgeable in HA and BCP concepts (RAID, SPOFs, etc).
- Experience with VMware virtualization technologies
- Experience with EMC Replication Manager or HP Continuous Access is required
- In depth knowledge of electronic hardware to the component level as it relates to Data Center operations in general and Fiber Channel specifically
- In depth knowledge of Network-attached Storage platforms.
- In depth knowledge of Storage Area Network from specific detail about components and software to then extend and include an overall view the requirements for storage across the corporate enterprise
- Hardware/Software experience with one or more of the following models is required:
- EMC Time Finder, SRDF, ECC or equivalent software
- Must have worked with Storage Administrator software and have administered a SAN and be able to tune and configure SAN storage systems as required to meet the demands of dynamically changing database and site storage requirements
- Working knowledge of EMC Symmetric product lines such as PowerMax.
- Brocade, CISCO, Aruba director level fabric switches
- In-depth knowledge of EMC, HP or Pure storage product lines.
- Knowledge of local and wide area networking on multiple platforms: Windows, Unix, Linux and VMware; network protocols and routing; network, server, and host operating systems; IP networking, internet and intranet technologies; email, office automation and collaboration technologies; voice and/or data communications; voice and/or data networking; Windows desktop OS; server hardware, software, and administration.
- total of ten (10) years of experience in large corporate systems environment with a wide variety of Information Management systems, networks and technologies required.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of experience engineering solutions and instrumentation for EMC and/or HP Storage Area Networks (SAN) for mission critical, enterprise applications and databases
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in data lifecycle management systems (ECC, Storage Essentials, or comparable) in enterprise scale environment with multiple storage tier levels
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience engineering solutions related to storage operational and disaster recovery data replication and/or storage virtualization technologies.
- Prior experience in a health care systems environment is a plus.
- One or more of the following storage networking certifications required:
- EMC Certified Professional/Engineer
- HP Certified SAN Engineer/Architect
- SNIA Storage Networking Certification as an SCP, SCSE, SCA, or SCSN-E
- At least one of the following certifications recommended:
- OS Engineer (Microsoft, UNIX or Linux)