Senior SQL Server Database Administrator
CHRISTUS System Office
CHRISTUS Information Mgmt-79100
919 Hidden Ridge
Irving, TX 75038
Share This Job On
Apply Now Senior SQL Server Database Administrator Job in Irving
The Senior SQL Server Database Administrator provides subject matter expertise in the areas of managing, maintaining and support of enterprise database systems. Responsible for the design, architecture, configuration, operations and support of the CHRISTUS SQL database environment. This position also performs capacity planning and performance tuning along with managing the availability and scalability of the database server environment to ensure that no unplanned disruptions or data losses occurs. This position requires extensive technical knowledge and experience in SQL Server environments.
Extensive DBA experienced with SQL database management activities including database replication, mirroing. The duties include: install and maintain database software and patches, security compliance, capacity planning, test and upgrade software releases, build databases; maintain system level tables; provide support; monitor database instances and servers daily on, Linux and Windows based platforms; provide database backup and recovery solutions; implement new technology; and create documentation.
Day to day activities include integrating additions and changes into the existing database infrastructure, performance tuning, capacity planning, addressing memory and disk configurations, and automating and managing the database backup and recovery processes, configuring transactional replication between databases, problem resolution and technical support. The position also works as part of a cross-functional teams that deals with the full spectrum of database technology.
- Strategy & Planning -- Plans and coordinates the future state of the database infrastructure for CHRISTUS information management. Responsible for overall architectural design of database standards, designs new database installations that meet the information system vision and strategy of the organization and advise on matters including memory, disk configuration, sharing host with other applications, etc.; plans, prioritizes, and manages service requests, and routine assignments.
- System Engineering - Analyzes database configurations; evaluates changes and additions for proposed system acquisitions and provides critical input to the decision-making process relative to integration, operations, cost, resource requirements, and maintenance; creates backup and maintenance plans and recommendations to improve the performance and efficiency of the database infrastructure; prevents unplanned disruptions, especially of critical systems. Restores server databases from backups.
- System Integration - Integrates database components, subsystems, and facilities into the existing technical environment; assesses database connectivity, computing resources, and impact on other systems; maintains or improves integration and operation of systems relative to the overall environment including configuration in a SAN environment; leads or participates as team member in cross-system projects. Manage security for database systems.
- System Management - Provides troubleshooting and performance tuning; monitor performance issues and indexes to ensures the systems operate efficiently and meet the needs of the organization; Troubleshoot backup and maintenance plans to address system failures, evaluate memory and disk usage and verify backup procedures; provides training to IM associates and clients as needed
- Training & Certification - Maintains in-depth knowledge and current certification in Database technologies.
- Assist other IM teams by providing technical support and guidance.
- Participate in after-hours support by rotating call schedule on a regular basis.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management or designee.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Math or related field or equivalent experience (10 years) required.
- Proven ability to build large scale content management systems that combine data from a variety of sources and formats.
- Strong understanding of networking fundamentals, especially where pertinent to database issues
- Maintain and monitor availability, security, and integrity of databases, including referential integrity checking;
- Expert understanding of clustering and grid technologies related to database environments
- Excellent written and verbal communication across teams and disciplines
- Experience in database replication
- Design database performance specifications, database backup and recovery plans, and database performance/capacity models including disk space capacity plans.
- Perform advanced database maintenance activities, such as partitioning, index reorganization, transporting tablespaces, and document search management.
- Assist in recommendation and design phases of database architectures including hardware, software, and the environment architectures thereof.
- Advanced experience with Enterprise Database Solutions such as; Microsoft SQL Server versions 2008, 2012, 2014 & 2016
- Knowledge of local and wide area networking on multiple platforms: Windows, Unix, Linux, Virtualization technologies; network protocols and routing; network, server, and host operating systems, IP networking, server hardware, software, and administration.
- A total of ten (10) years of experience in large corporate systems environment with a wide variety of Information Management systems, networks and technologies required.
- Must have six (7) years of solid production support experience in MS SQL Database
- Minimum of (5) years of enterprise database design and implementation of advanced relationship database components: Replication, Mirroring, Log Shipping, or other advance operational or disaster recovery solutions
- Minimum of (5) years of architecture experience in relational database high availability solutions maintaining continuous application availability such as DRS, HA, Clustering, hot fail-over or other comparable solutions.
- Must have database high availability experience of at least 5+ years in either SQL cluster.
C. Licenses, Registrations, or Certifications
- Microsoft SQL Database Administration Certification is highly required