The Oncology Nurse Navigator coordinates the care in a timely and efficient manner, identifying and eliminating barriers to care. The Nurse Navigator is a consistent care coordinator throughout the continuum of care and is able to assess the physical, psychological and social needs of the patient enhancing patient outcomes, increasing satisfaction and reducing cost of care. This nurse functions as an expert communicator over the telephone or in person, providing timely, appropriate advice and/or guidance to patients who seek assistance with health care issues. Performs patient assessment/reassessment with the goal of transitioning the patient to the right level of care, based on their individual needs. It is a complex role requiring flexibility and independent decision making as well as multi-focal collaboration. Navigation involves ranking client's health problems according to their urgency, educating and advising clients, and making safe, effective and appropriate dispositions according to protocols, either in person or by telephone. Demonstrates compassionate and caring manner with clients in person and over the phone. Additionally, the Oncology Nurse Navigator functions as a patient advocate facilitating accessibility to care and promotes optimal patient-centered care that supports and empowers individuals, respects individual choices and meets health care needs of patients. Nurse participates in the care of patients through direct patient visits, patient education, phone calls, testing, and office procedures. Collaborates with the providers and staff in the coordination and management of patient care.
EDUCATION: Registered Nurse, BSN in Nursing, preferred.
CERTIFICATION/LICENSES: Current New Mexico Nursing License. Current BLS certifications issued by the American Heart Association required.
* Considerable knowledge of health care facilities, policies and issues, and of the full spectrum of community patient care services
* Considerable knowledge of health care and social management principles
* Ability to coordinate various functions and activities for maximum cooperation and integration of services providers and persons receiving care within a clinic for continuum of care services
* Ability to direct, instruct and advise staff, and to receive and effectively react to day-to-day problems
* Ability to utilize strong communication skills, both written and oral, and effectively demonstrate an interactive style of care coordination
* Ability to understand and implement sensitivity and culture of care measures appropriate to a diverse population
* Ability to work with various levels of the CHRISTUS organization including clinical, financial, administrative and medical staff.
* Triages calls received from patient or families. Addresses issues directly when within scope of practice using protocols where appropriate in a timely manner.
* Makes appropriate and independent / collaborative decisions for selecting specific triage plan.
* Documents all interactions with patients and providers when medical direction is given.
* Develop and document patient plan of care in the Electronic Medical Records system(s)
* Assists in the development, maintenance, and delivery of individual treatment summaries and care plans for patients in accordance with
applicable standards, policies, procedures, and guidelines within the Oncology Service Line.
* Participates in committee work and data collection and analysis for survivorship program.
* Maintain knowledge of current practices in oncology, nursing, and healthcare
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of 5 years of experience in a health care setting and related experience with quality, care coordination and oncology preferred.
NATURE OF SUPERVISION: -Responsible to: Clinical Nurse Manager, Medical Oncology
ENVIRONMENT: - Bloodborne pathogen Multiple settings and variable unpredictable situations including inpatient, specialty and primary care settings
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Ability to move around settings of care. Requires close work, good vision, dexterity to write as well as to use computer keyboard. Ability to handle stressful situations. Most possess and demonstrate excellent customer service skills.