Phlebotomist - Lab AdminGeneral - PRN
CHRISTUS Santa Rosa
CHRISTUS Santa Rosa Hospital Medical Center
Share This Job On
Phlebotomist - Lab AdminGeneral - PRN Job in San Antonio
The Phlebotomist/Lab Assistant collects blood specimens for laboratory tests on inpatients and outpatients by venipuncture or capillary puncture technique. The Phlebotomist/Lab Assistant performs various clerical tasks to include utilizing the Laboratory Information System for logging, receiving lab specimens and preparing specimens for transport. Clerical responsibilities include answering telephones and providing necessary information to inquirer, printing and faxing results and accessioning outpatient testing.
CHRISTUS Santa Rosa Hospital - Medical Center (CSRH-MC), located in the South Texas Medical Center, provides a high-level of care through compassionate hands, experience physicians, and advanced technology, including the da Vinci Surgical Robot System and the Mako™ Robotic-Arm Assisted System. Services at the 178- bed facility include Acute Care of the Elderly Unit, cardiology, diabetes care, emergency care, general surgery, kidney transplantation at the CHRISTUS Transplant Institute, orthopedics, outpatient rehabilitation and aquatic therapy, Senior Behavioral Health Center, urology, and the Wound Care and Hyperbaric Center.
- Must be a high school graduate or have a GED.
- Formal phlebotomy training in a Medical Assistant Program or other hospital or military based program preferred.
- Minimum of Six (6) months of full-time phlebotomy experience preferred
- More than one year of experience is highly preferred, preferably in a hospital setting.
- Works with computers, printers, multi-line phones.
- Must be knowledgeable of related tests for which blood is drawn, care of blood specimens, and procedures in blood collection.
- Must be aware of type and amount of blood needed for various tests.
- Must have basic knowledge of vascular system and appropriate sites for phlebotomy.
- Must be able to perform venipuncture and capillary punctures.
- Must be able to execute work in a speedy manner proficiently with minimal error.
- Must be able to perform a number of clerical and computer-related functions.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with professional staff and public.
- Must be able to plan and organize work.
- Must have ability to reason, concentrate, and be adaptable or flexible.
- Must have good judgment, initiative.
- Must be capable of independent action.
- Must be alert to errors and pay close attention to details.
- Must be able to deal calmly with others in stressful situations.
- Must have the ability to explain technical information to patients and other hospital personnel in an understandable manner.
- Must exhibit a cordial and helpful attitude in all interactions by voice tone, mannerisms and message content; must assist in the accommodation of client requests.
- Must be able to achieve a high degree of accuracy in performing venipuncture and capillary punctures.
- Attention to detail and accuracy is critical in specimen identification, filing, providing information, and attaching reports to patient’s charts. Incorrect information could affect patient care.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must also successfully complete the pre-employment/post job offer health screening examination, and the annual screening each year thereafter as an employee.
Per Diem as Needed