Orthopedic Specialist Ortho Associates FT/40HRS
CHRISTUS St. Vincent
490A West Zia Rd
Santa Fe, NM 87505
Share This Job On
Apply Now Orthopedic Specialist Ortho Associates FT/40HRS Job in Santa Fe
The Orthopedic Specialist's primary function is to support the Orthopedics Surgeon with patient care as directed and also has the ability and training to perform basic medical assistant duties and front desk specialist duties as needed. As a member of the Orthopedics Team, the Specialist delivers patient care and assumes appropriate responsibilities concerning non-surgical procedures. The Specialist assists the Orthopedics Surgeon with clinical patient care including: casting, scheduling of surgical and diagnostic procedures, managing patient care during a clinic (including patient flow through the exam and X-ray rooms), answering patient inquiries, and fielding messages and requests directed to the surgeon. In addition, the Specialist is frequently called upon to triage patient phone calls regarding symptoms, urgency of their injury/illness, and immediate care to manage pain/injuries prior to coming in for an appointment. The Specialist may also assist with rooming patients, taking vital signs, obtains history of chief complaint for visit. On occasion the Specialist may assist with front desk duties such as greeting and registering patients
EDUCATION: High School Graduate or equivalent. Successful completion (by means of a certificate) of an accredited medical assistant program of study inclusive of the required skills preferred but not required or successful completion and proof of EMT training.
CERTIFICATION/LICENSES: BLS issued through American Heart Association required.
- Ability to describe various orthopaedic conditions based on an understanding of anatomical structures and their relationship with one another.
- Ability to apply, adjust and remove common orthopaedic devices, using standard practice as a guide.
- Knowledge of the proper application of aseptic techniques in dressing change and the removal of sutures or staples.
- Ability to interpret simple fractures and dislocations on X-ray films.
- Understanding of clinic and environmental safety and precautions.
- Thorough working knowledge of musculoskeletal system.
- Demonstrated knowledge of anatomy, physiology and medical terminology.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with principles of aseptic techniques.
- Basic knowledge of application and use of orthopaedic equipment and supplies.
- Effective communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Desired Skill: Ability to perform in an operating room environment as first and second assist or scrub technician under the direct supervision of a surgeon.
- Desired Skill: Ability to supervise and train other certified or eligible Orthopaedic Technologists.
EXPERIENCE: One year full-time work experience in a hospital, clinic or office setting, working directly in the treatment of orthopedic patient(s) preferred.
NATURE OF SUPERVISION:
-Responsible to: Clinic Manager, Orthopedic Clinics
- Bloodborne pathogen: A
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Lifts, transfers and positions patients and equipment in excess of 150 pounds. Some positioning or lifting of patients up to 300 pounds.