CHRISTUS Central Louisiana/St. Frances Cabrini
CHRISTUS St Frances Cabrini-40100
3330 Masonic Dr
Alexandria, LA 71301
Share This Job On
Apply Now Nurse Practitioner Job in Alexandria
Nurse practitioner (NP) is an advance practice registered nurse with specialized education and clinical competency to provide health and medical care for diverse populations in a variety of primary, acute, and long-term care settings. The NP works in collaboration with and under the general supervision of a licensed physician. This position functions under the Regulatory Guidance provided by the State of Louisiana and within the Standards of Practice outlined by the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners. The Oncology NP has the responsibility and accountability for assessing patient/family health problems and resources, planning, implementing and evaluating the plan of care for the patients. Per the Departments Scope of Practice, this position requires providing services to oncology patients, in a manner that demonstrates an understanding of the functional/developmental age of the individuals served. This position requires the full understanding and active participation in fulfilling the Mission of CHRISTUS St. Frances Cabrini Hospital. It is expected that the associate demonstrate behavior consistent with the Core Values. The associate shall support the CHRISTUS St. Frances Cabrini's strategic plan and the goals and direction of their Performance Improvement Plan (PIP)
Action Oriented -- Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy and enthusiasm.
Customer Focus -- Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
Communicates Effectively -- Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
Decision Quality -- Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
Collaborates -- Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
Nimble Learning -- Actively learning through experimentation when tackling new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
Demonstrates Self-Awareness -- Using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
Goals -- Completes quarterly goals
Delivering the Mission -- Performs duties as defined in this job description and demonstrates mastery of role
- Assessment of health status
- Obtains a relevant health and medical history
- Performs a physical examination based on age and history
- Performs or orders preventive and diagnostic procedures based on the patient's age and history
- Identifies health and medical risk factors
- Utilizing critical thinking in the diagnostic process
- Synthesizing and analyzing the collected data
- Formulating a differential diagnosis based on the history, physical examination, and diagnostic test results
- Establishing priorities to meet the health and medical needs of the individual and family
- Orders additional diagnostic tests
- Selects appropriate pharmacological and non-pharmacological interventions
- Develops a patient education plan
- Plans appropriate consultations or referrals
- Accurately conducting and interpreting diagnostic tests
- Prescribing pharmacological agents and non-pharmacological therapies
- Provides relevant patient / family education
- Makes appropriate referrals to other health professionals or agencies
- Maintains a systematic process for patient follow up
- Determines the effectiveness of the treatment plan with documentation of patient care out comes
- Reassesses and modifies the plan of care as necessary to achieve health and medical goals.
- The NP participates as a team member in the provision of health and medical care, interacting with professional colleagues to provide comprehensive care.
- NP attends and participates in multidisciplinary case conferences, Tumor Conference, Cancer Committee, and other activities as necessary.
- Networks with referring physicians, agencies, and clinics regarding the care of patients and disease status. Maintains open lines of communication with referring physicians and agencies.
- Coordinates with Cancer Program Medical Social Worker, Dietician, Radiation Therapists, medical oncology clinic nursing personnel, chemotherapy nurses and supporting occupation therapists on the care of patients.
- Collaborates with supervising physician regarding admissions, appropriateness of care plan, pharmacy orders/prescriptions, and diagnostic tests as necessary.
- Scope of Practice: NP and supervising physician(s) will, jointly, develop a clearly defined and documented scope of care that will fully utilize the NP's abilities and skills. Physician and NP will jointly develop a list of authorized pharmaceuticals that may be prescribed by the NP.
- Documentation: NP will document patient care fully and completely in the appropriate patient chart. Supervising physician will review NP's charting on a periodic basis as necessary.
- Research: NP will act as liaison between the research nurse, patients, and physicians to facilitate research efforts.
- Review all laboratory and radiographic reports as well as other patient related documents and makes appropriate interventions and or initiate action under the guidance of or in collaboration with the supervising physician(s).
- Procedures: all outpatient procedures will be performed in accordance with established protocols and within established practice limits.
- Uses computer system(s) appropriately.
- Documents in the medical record according to policy/procedure.
- Complies with incident reporting and notification requirements.
- Attends/reviews department staff meetings for information.
- Identifies patient's problems by comparing health status to established nursing norms.
- Assists with the care of the physical and psychological needs of the patient and reports any signs of complications to the Medical Oncologist. Advises Dietary and Social Services of patient's special needs.
- Assists others as necessary, always using time constructively.
- Practices Standard Precautions in patient care activities.
- Practices appropriate disease specific isolation as required.
- Appropriately handles and disposes of sharps.
- Identifies and documents patient/family educational needs upon initial assessment and thereafter.
- Identifies barriers to learning.
- Provides teaching based on identified needs.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of instruction provided.
- Assessment and teaching incorporates cultural and ethnic actors.
- Assessment and teaching incorporates functional needs.
- Develops and/or implements established departmental teaching/educational programs for patients concerning their treatment and care.
- Develops and implements the plan of care based on assessment findings.
- Establishes the plan of care within time frame specific to assigned Department/unit.
- Re-evaluates and modifies the plan of care, based on the patient's response to the interventions.
- Communicates the plan of care to members of the nursing team.
- Prioritizes and delegates patient care activities based on patient assessment and staff capabilities.
- Appropriately coordinates and/or delegates aspects of the plan of care.
- Involves the patient/family in developing the plan of care.
- Demonstrates sound clinical judgement in decision-making regarding patient care.
- Communicates effectively with physicians and allied health team.
- Coordinates care with other disciplines involved.
- Involves allied health team members, as necessary.
- Actively participates in multidisciplinary care conferences
- Allows for privacy and modesty in the provision of care.
- Identifies self by name and title to patient/family
- Reports suspected cases of abuse/neglect, if identified.
- Understands role of, and how to access, the Ethics Committee.
- Establishes presence of consent prior to treatment/procedure.
- Understands actions, side-effects, contra-indications of drugs.
- Follows five "rights" of medication administration.
- Adheres to medication policies, practices and standards.
- Prescribes medication, intravenous therapy and fluid management only under physician guidance.
- Completed Unit Specific Annual Competency Checklist.
- Obtains necessary training prior to initial equipment use.
- Assures equipment is in operating order prior to use.
- Differentiates between patient complications and equipment malfunction.
- Uses medical equipment in accordance with manufacturer's operating guidelines.
- Participates or performs required Quality Improvement studies accurately and in a timely manner.
- Assists Medical Director in the development of new policies or procedures as requested.
- Minimum of a Master's Degree with a concentration in the respective advanced practice nursing specialty which includes both didactic and clinical components, advanced knowledge in nursing theory, physical and psychosocial assessment, nursing interventions, and management of health care
- One year recent experience preferred
- Current Louisiana RN License
- Current Louisiana NP license
- Current BLS Card.
- Chemotherapy certification required within 3months of hire date and maintains current chemotherapy certification.