7AM - 7PM
Mental Health Technician - ECC Emergency Care
CHRISTUS Santa Rosa
CHRISTUS Childrens Hospital of San Antonio
Share This Job On
Mental Health Technician - ECC Emergency Care Job in San Antonio
The Mental Health Tech is a member of nursing staff who provides care to meet the physical and psychological needs of patients in the hospital. Under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse/Licensed Nurse, this position will assist with routine and repetitive patient care activities on a nursing unit. This position also performs specific clerical, organizational and patient focused activities. The patient focused tasks will be supportive in nature.
The Children’s Hospital of San Antonio, established in 1959, was the first children’s hospital in South-Central Texas. Located downtown, this 190-plus-bed hospital serves more than 70,000 children annually from San Antonio, South Texas and around the world. The hospital (in partnership with Baylor College of Medicine) is the only academic children’s hospital in San Antonio. Our highly specialized services meet the unique medical needs of children, from Pediatric and Neonatal Intensive Care to Children’s Emergency Services, the latest treatments for deformities of the spine including titanium rib implants and halo traction, a Heart Center, a specialized asthma program, a highly regarded Cancer and Blood Disorders Center, and growing maternal services to include consultation, delivery, and maternal fetal medicine.
- High school diploma or GED required; some college preferred
- Effective written and verbal communication skills and the ability to use problem-solving techniques are required.
- Ability to interact with psychiatric patients to determine their needs is essential.
- Mental Health Technicians must be at least eighteen (18) years of age and be proficient in reading, speaking and writing English.
- Must have the physical and mental ability to perform the skills on the skill checklist.
- Must have the ability to follow detailed oral and written instructions and to maintain nursing records and charts.
- Ability to interact professionally with patients and families.
- Requires excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- One-year experience working as a Certified Nursing Assistant or Mental Health Technician in an acute hospital setting. Prefer Bachelor’s Degree in psychology or related field
- One year of experience with psychiatric patients in an acute psychiatric setting.
- Knowledge of basic nursing skills is essential. Certification as a CNA or its equivalent is acceptable documentation of nursing skills knowledge.
- Current BLS (American Heart Association) is required.