Medical Assistant/Patient Account Representative - Family Clinic
CHRISTUS System Office
CHRISTUS Gulf Coast Foundation Healthcare Office
2615 Fannin Street
Houston, TX 77002
Share This Job On
Apply Now Medical Assistant/Patient Account Representative - Family Clinic Job in Houston
Responsible for the accurate collection and record-keeping of payments received for services rendered in the clinic. May verify insurance. Will also have opportunity to perform medical assisting duties.
- Responsible for accurately processing charge tickets as patients exit the clinic.Reviews and codes tickets for accuracy and completeness, determine appropriate fees for services rendered, calculate totals, collect appropriate amount from patients, properly record information.
- Maintains appropriate levels of cash; balances cash drawer per company procedure; balances daily input of coding to the actual money or deposits.
- May be required to key charge information, including hospital or other satellite services, into on-line entry program.
- Participates with other staff to follow up on accounts until no balance or the account is turned over for collection.This will be performed within the guidelines of the collections policies.
- Refers patients to supervisor or Accounts Receivable representative for clarification or discussion of account and/or payment terms, within the guidelines of the collections policy.
- Operation and maintenance of credit and collection equipment.Maintains appropriate supplies inventory.
- Assists with coding and error resolution.
- Assists with patient education concerning insurance plan.
- May maintain files with referral slips, insurance and insurance waivers.
- May assist in the referral process.
- Follows the CHRISTUS guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
- Maintains strict confidentiality.
- Uses oral and written communication skills to effectively convey ideas in a clear, positive manner that is consistent with the CHRISTUS Mission.
- Maintains established CHRISTUS policies, procedures, objectives, quality assurance, safety, environmental and infection control.
- Implements job responsibilities in a manner that is consistent with the CHRISTUS Mission and Code of Ethics and supportive of CHRISTUS cultural diversity objectives.
- Supports and adheres to CHRISTUS Service Guarantee.
- Performs other related work as required.
- High school diploma or equivalent. Ability to operate telephone, computer, copier, and fax machine and 10 key calculator by touch.Good math and communication skills.
- One year of billing experience, including ICD9, CPT and HCPCS coding in a health care organization.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Will take a Medical Assistant, too.