Manager Health Information Management Education
CHRISTUS System Office
Minimum Overnight Travel Up To 10 Percent
CHRISTUS Corp Irving Offices 919 and 909 Buildings
919 Hidden Ridge
Irving, TX 75038
USView On A Map View Other Locations
Share This Job On
Manager Health Information Management Education Job in Irving
The CHRISTUS Health Information Management (HIM) Coding Education Manager provides educational leadership, support, and direction, for the HIM Coding staff. The Education Manager provides oversight of education and training on the application of coding guidelines, documentation, medical terminology and disease process. The HIM Education Manager works collaboratively with system Revenue Cycle, Coding Integrity, facility Health Information and Records Services departments, Patient Access Teams, Patient Financial Services, Shared Services, Case Management, Physicians, hospital leadership and management. The HIM Education Manager supervises and directs the activities of the coding quality specialists and educators. This position is responsible for supporting adherence to CHRISTUS standards and directives and other regulatory requirements including Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), the Joint Commission, and HIPAA standards related to HIM.
- Ensures development and coordination of coding education and coding training to all appropriate personnel, including HIM coding staff, physicians, billing personnel, and ancillary in areas relevant to health information management including appropriate documentation, accurate coding, compliance and data management
- Ensures that coding consultants and other contracted entities (for example, outsourced coding personnel) understand and agree to adhere to the organization's HIM education requirements.
- Manages implementation and maintenance of education programs pertaining to inpatient and outpatient coding, DRG assignment, APC coding, coding Integrity education and coordinates ongoing monitoring of coding accuracy and documentation adequacy.
- Working collaboratively with Coding Integrity Department, coding compliance, reviews compliance and trend analyses function to identify patterns and variations in coding practices and case-mix index which require education.
- Reviews comparison of coding and reimbursement profile with national and regional norms to identify variations requiring further education.
- Serves as a resource for department directors, staff, physicians, and administration to obtain education, training or information on accurate and ethical coding and documentation standards, guidelines, and regulatory requirements.
- Directs the activities of the coding education staff.
- Ensures maintenance of attendance rosters and documentation (agenda, job aids) for HIM training programs.
- Ensures development or procurement of instructional materials to include course plans, objectives, audiovisual aids, lab activities, and evaluation tools including user setup, course selection and assignment distribution of online education courses.
- Ensure instruction of associates is appropriate and effective. Assesses course effectiveness through associate evaluations.
- May facilitate and/ or instruct associate education programs.
- Advises current associates relative to their performance and maintains appropriate documentation thereof.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree required
- Master's degree in health information management Informatics or a related field preferred
- RHIA (Registered Health Information Administrator (AHIMA)), or RHIT (Registered Health Information Technician (AHIMA)) or CCS Certified Coding Specialist (ANIMA) credential. Required
- Experience in administrative and staff management
- Experience in project management
- Knowledge of information systems and healthcare applications
- Extensive knowledge of ICD-9-CM, ICD-10-CM/PCS and CPT coding principles and guidelines; reimbursement systems, and federal, state, and payer-specific regulations and policies pertaining to documentation, coding and billing.
- Must possess a general working knowledge in internal integrity requirements and procedures.
- Proven ability to manage, challenge, and motivate staff.
- Extensive knowledge of federal, state and payer specific regulations and policies pertaining to documentation, coding, privacy, and billing
- Maintains professional public image and behavior towards all customers of the hospital including visitors, patients, coworkers, hospital staff, and physicians.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to deal with staff, co-workers, patients, and public.
- Adept at reading, writing, mathematics; multi-tasking; work well within stressful environment; have strong cognitive and problem—solving skills all with minimal supervision.
- Ability to interpret reports and provide guidance on studies and government regulations and guidelines related to HIM. Knowledge of information systems, healthcare applications, and database applications