Lab Assistant - Phlebotomist -- PRN
CHRISTUS Trinity Mother Frances
CHRISTUS Mother Frances Hospital Jacksonville
2026 South Jackson
Jacksonville, TX 75766
USView Other Locations
Share This Job On
Apply Now Lab Assistant - Phlebotomist -- PRN Job in Jacksonville
This is a PRN position that does not have a set schedule.
The Lab Assistant - Phlebotomist collects blood specimens for laboratory tests on inpatients and outpatients by venipuncture or capillary puncture technique. The Phlebotomist/Lab Assistant performs various clerical tasks to include utilizing the Laboratory Information System for logging, receiving lab specimens and preparing specimens for transport. Clerical responsibilities include answering telephones and providing necessary information to inquirer, printing and attaching cumulative summaries and pathology reports to patient charts, faxing results and accessioning outpatient testing.
- Must be a high school graduate or have a GED
- Formal phlebotomy training in a Medical Assistant Program or other hospital or military based program preferred
- Minimum of Six (6) months of full time phlebotomy experience preferred; more than one year of experience is highly preferred, preferably in a hospital setting
- Works with computers, printers, multi-line phones.
- Must be knowledgeable of related tests for which blood is drawn, care of blood specimens, and procedures in blood collection.
- Must be aware of type and amount of blood needed for various tests.
- Must have basic knowledge of vascular system and appropriate sites for phlebotomy.
- Must be able to perform venipuncture and capillary punctures.
- Must be able to perform a number of clerical and computer-related functions.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with professional staff and public.
- Must have ability to reason, concentrate, and be adaptable or flexible.
- Must have good judgment, initiative, be able to plan and organize work, and be capable of independent action.
- Must be alert to errors and pay close attention to details
- Must be able to deal calmly with others in stressful situations.
- Must have the ability to explain technical information to patients and other hospital personnel in an understandable manner.
- Must exhibit a cordial and helpful attitude in all interactions by voice tone, mannerisms and message content; must assist in the accommodation of client requests.
- Must be able to achieve a high degree of accuracy in performing venipuncture and capillary punctures.
- Attention to detail and accuracy is critical in specimen identification, filing, providing information, and attaching reports to patient's charts. Incorrect information could affect patient care.
- Must also successfully complete the pre-employment/post job offer health screening examination, and the annual screening each year thereafter as an employee.
Per Diem As Needed