Lab Assistant - Phlebotomist - Main Lab Job in Tyler
The Phlebotomist collects blood specimens for laboratory tests on inpatients and outpatients by venipuncture or capillary puncture technique. The Phlebotomist performs various clerical tasks to include utilizing the Laboratory Information System for logging, receiving lab specimens and preparing specimens for transport. Clerical responsibilities include answering telephones and providing necessary information to inquirer, printing and attaching cumulative summaries and pathology reports to patient charts, faxing results and accessing outpatient testing.
- Must be a high school graduate or have a GED
- Formal phlebotomy training in a Medical Assistant Program or other hospital or military based program
- Minimum of 1 year experience; can be substituted for the 6 week certified clinical training program
- Works with computers, printers, multi-line phones.
- Must be knowledgeable of related tests for which blood is drawn, care of blood specimens, and procedures in blood collection.
- Must be aware of type and amount of blood needed for various tests.
- Must be able to perform venipuncture and capillary punctures.
- Must be able to perform a number of clerical and computer-related functions.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with professional staff and public.
- Must be organized and multi-tasked oriented.