Histologist Registered - Lab Hist Cyt Path Job in San Antonio
The Histologist Registered, assists with cuts, stains, and mounts specimens of human tissue to provide data on functioning of tissues and organs, causes and/or progress of disease, following established standards and practices.
The CHRISTUS Children’s Hospital, established in 1959, was the first children’s hospital in South-Central Texas. Located downtown, this 190-plus-bed hospital serves more than 70,000 children annually from San Antonio, South Texas and around the world. The hospital (in partnership with Baylor College of Medicine) is the only academic children’s hospital in San Antonio. Our highly specialized services meet the unique medical needs of children, from Pediatric and Neonatal Intensive Care to Children’s Emergency Services, the latest treatments for deformities of the spine including titanium rib implants and halo traction, a Heart Center, a specialized asthma program, a highly regarded Cancer and Blood Disorders Center, and growing maternal services to include consultation, delivery, and maternal fetal medicine.
• Meets expectations of the applicable OneCHRISTUS Competencies: Leader of Self, Leader of Others, or Leader of Leaders.
• Collects, processes, and stores surgical/cytological specimens
• Enters patient information, orders, and technical information into LIS; prints/organizes cassettes
• Prepares specimens/slides/blocks for referral
• Orders, maintains referral log, processes reports, and monitors pending
• Maintains grossing area, frozen section room, and autopsy suite including cleaning and stocking of supplies and preparation of solutions
• Performs technical procedures that result in the creation of microscopic slide preparation
• Within acceptable TAT guidelines, devises and directs performance of routine and special stains to provide appropriate slides for the microscopic evaluation of tissues, fluids, and other A/P specimens
• Operates microtomes, embedding stations, tissue processors, staining equipment, cover slippers and other AP equipment to provide quality slides for pathologist examinations
• Operates Immunostainer(s) to provide quality slides for diagnostics immunostains
• Performs manual stains, as needed, to provide quality slides for diagnostic immunostains
• Assists Pathologist’s / PA’s with frozen sections, fine needle aspirations, and autopsies
• Quality Control / Improvement: performs analysis and records QC according to policy and procedure following CLIA, CAP, and Joint Commission guidelines and standards
• Maintenance/Lab Management: performs established daily and periodic preventative maintenance with documentation; troubleshoots minor problems and initiates service calls as needed; orders and restocks supplies/reagents; reviews policy & procedure manual; dates reagents and discards expired reagents
• Continuing Education/Development: attends, reads, or listens by tape to material of 10-12 in-house educational programs yearly; trains new staff in practices
• Completes tasks or special projects within time frame as assigned, or as requested by Supervisors, Manager, or Director
• Accreditation: follows CAP, AABB, Compliance, CLIA, JCAHO, and OSHA standards and prepares/participates in all applicable inspections
• Follows established protocols for safety, infection control, security, compliance, and the use of hazardous materials.
- High School Diploma required
- Completion of an accredited Histotechnology Program by CAHEA/NAACLS or military equivalent required
- Successful completion of the core educational curriculum “Excellence at the Front End” required within one year of employment.
- 2 years of experience in histopathology is required along with a High school Diploma.
- 1 year of experience in histopathology is required along with an Associate’s degree.
- Certified Healthcare Access Associate through the National Association of Healthcare Access Management (NAHAM) preferred.
- Histotechnology certification by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists certification (ASCP) preferred.
EEO is the law - click below for more information:
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact us at (844) 257-6925.