5 DAYS - 8 HOURS
Diabetes Educator II - Family Healthcare Clinic
CHRISTUS Good Shepherd
Education and Research
CHRISTUS GS Longview Medical Plaza III 705 E Marshall Ave
705 East Marshall Avenue
Longview, TX 75601
Share This Job On
Apply Now Diabetes Educator II - Family Healthcare Clinic Job in Longview
Responsible for DM instruction, documentation and follow-up on patients identified through physician referral. Conducts quality and effective diabetes self-management education program classes. Accountable for ongoing evaluation of program, performance improvements, physician and patient phone calls/correspondence. Primarily responsible for outpatient appointments. Develops, implements, and evaluates community educational events. Participates in community diabetes screenings. Maintains AADE Recognition Program status.
- Customer Service Accountability Standards
- Develops individual plan of care for each client. The educational plan reflects integration of current diabetes care practices teaching/learning principles, respect for lifestyle and health belief.
- Implements the plan of care in collaboration with other members of the health care team to provide accessible services and education progressing from survival skills to advanced information for daily self-care management.
- Documents accurately the educational experience, plan of care, and outcomes. Provides cost effective care.
- Maintains collaborative, effective working relationship with physicians and other members of the health care team. Communicates patient progress, plan of care and intervention to the appropriate physician.
- Follows hospital policies and departmental rules. Adheres to hospital policies and departmental rules.
- Follows the CHRISTUS Health Guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
- Associates timely completes all required educational assignments.
- Provides outpatient diabetes self-management & nutritional instruction consistent with program content and AADE guidelines. Conducts self-management classes conducive to learning with satisfactory or better evaluations.
- Performs patient DM or nutritional instruction per physician orders. Instructs according to age specific guidelines & medical condition. Provides family support & education PRN.
- Refers to self-management classes when appropriate.
- Documents and evaluates the teaching and learning process in the electronic health record. Provides professional and timely info to MD regarding patient progress/status. Maintains/supports AADE Recognition Program status.
- Develops implements and participates in community diabetes and educational programs. Evaluates effectiveness of community outreach events.
- Assists with diabetes education in-service for nursing staff/physicians.
- Must be proficient in analytical thinking, interpersonal relations, diversity awareness, customer focus.
- Good organizational and follow-up skills.
- Must have excellent oral, public and written communication skills.
- Windows Database experience in EXCEL and basic computer knowledge.
- Knowledge/competency of the proper use of Harbor Software is preferred.
- Teaching skills and familiarity with AADE guidelines. Knowledge of Type I, II Diabetes Management, and gestational diabetes management.
- Exposure to teaching patients in MD office or Hospital
- Experience with Blood Glucose Monitors AV Equipment
- 1-3 years teaching diabetic patients or teaching medical nutrition therapy in adult and pediatric populations preferred.
- Experience with Alternative Insulin Delivery preferred
- RN LD
- CDE certification preferred
- CPR certification preferred
- Insulin Pump Training Certification preferred