Cytologist - Tyler - Full Time Job in Tyler
Follows established standard practices: Prepares and stains microscopic slides from specimens of blood, tissue scrapings, and body fluids. Examines cells of the human body to detect evidence of cancer, abnormalities, and other pathological conditions. Categories slides, records classification, compiles listings of patients for follow-up analysis, and reports all unusual cell structures or abnormalities to the Pathologist. Addresses all daily operations of the cytology laboratory.
• Meets expectations of the applicable OneCHRISTUS Competencies: Leader of Self, Leader of Others, or Leader of Leaders.
• Customer Service
• Enters patient information, orders, and technical information into LIS.
• Within acceptable TAT guidelines, devises and directs performance of routine and special stains to provide appropriate slides for the microscopic evaluation of tissues, fluids, and other cytopathology specimens.
• Operates staining equipment, ThinPrep equipment, coverslippers and other AP equipment to provide quality slides for examinations.
• Performs manual stains, as needed, to provide quality slides for examinations.
• Assists Pathologists with fine needle aspirations.
• Using the microscope and stained slides, identifies and mark all unusual findings in the specimen using accepted morphologic criteria.
• Examines and evaluates the cell sample for the presence or absence of normal/abnormal cellular patterns; assesses malignant, pre-malignant, inflammatory, and benign changes.
• Refers to cellular changes that meet guidelines for supervisor and/or pathologist review.
• Quality Control / Improvement: performs analysis and records QC according to policy and procedure following CLIA, CAP, and Joint Commission guidelines and standards.
• Maintenance/Lab Management: performs established daily and periodic preventative maintenance with documentation; troubleshoots minor problems and initiates service calls as needed; orders and restocks supplies/reagents; reviews policy & procedure manual; dates reagents and discards expired reagents.
• Continuing Education/Development: attends, reads, or listens by tape to material of 10-12 in-house educational programs yearly; trains new staff in practices
• Completes tasks or special projects within the time frame as assigned, or as requested by Supervisors, Managers, or Directors.
• Accreditation: follows CAP, AABB, Compliance, CLIA, JCAHO, and OSHA standards and prepares/participates in all applicable inspections.
• Follows established protocols for safety, infection control, security, compliance, and the use of hazardous materials.
· Bachelor’s degree in science or equivalent required
· 1-2 years of experience required
· 2-3 years of experience in high complexity testing in an acute care hospital setting preferred
C. Licenses, Registrations, or Certifications
· Cytotechnologist (ASCP) or eligible
· Must obtain Annual Membership (current) with certification agency
EEO is the law - click below for more information:
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact us at (844) 257-6925.