Clinical Laboratory Scientist
CHRISTUS Good Shepherd
CHRISTUS Good Shepherd Medical Center Longview
700 East Marshall Avenue
Longview, TX 75601
USView Other Locations
Share This Job On
Apply Now Clinical Laboratory Scientist Job in Longview
Performs clinical testing in assigned section/s such as general laboratory, Blood Bank and Microbiology sections, with all duties necessary for accurate and timely results including quality control, performance improvement, proficiency testing, and preventative maintenance of equipment.Recognizes abnormal critical values and follows proper guidelines for notifying medical team members of results.Performs clerical, general, and phlebotomy duties related to daily operations in the laboratory.Provides/dispenses blood products as requested by medical staff.
- Ensures that the company philosophy and core values are evident in the service delivered to customers.
- Specimen Collection/Handling/Processing– obtains blood specimens via venipuncture and/or fingerstick, accurately identifies and labels appropriately; answers pneumatic tube system; follows procedures for processing and testing specimens, including operating various centrifuges; obtains other designated patient specimens as listed in procedure manuals.
- Result Reporting – recognizes errors or improbable results and takes appropriate action; reports critical values per Policy and Procedure; performs tests within established timeframe; performs laboratory testing, if designated, in the following sections: Hematology, Urinalysis, Coagulation, Chemistry, Special Chemistry, ER Stat Lab, and Microbiology; performs blood bank procedures, including crossmatching, ab id’s, and dispensing of blood products; operates laboratory automated analyzers according to established procedures.
- Performs, analyzes, and records QC according to Policy & Procedure following CLIA, CAP, AABB, and JCAHO guidelines; performs and records Performance Improvement indicators and reports results.
- Performs established daily and periodic preventative maintenance with documentation; troubleshoots minor problems and initiates service calls as needed; orders (or notifies assigned associate) and restocks supplies/reagents; reviews policy & procedure manual; dates reagents and discards expired reagents.
- Takes responsibility for seeking and achieving professional growth and continued education.
- Assists in training new associates and students in Laboratory practices.
- Follows CAP, AABB, Compliance, CLIA, JCAHO, and OSHA standards.
- Follows established protocols for safety, infection control, security, compliance, and the use of hazardous materials.
- Utilizes LIS and HIS computer systems appropriately to perform, charge, and report laboratory results.
- Completes annual competency assessment successfully and by assigned date.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Clinical Laboratory Science, Medical Technology or other biological science required.
- Graduate from Recognized University or college with ASCP, NCA, or AMT certification
- Licensure as Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS), if required by State
- Registered as MT(ASCP) or MLS(ASCP) or CLS(AMT) or equivalent is required within 60 days of Hire