8AM - 5PM
Clinical Appeals Specialist
CHRISTUS System Office
No Travel Applicable
CHRISTUS Corp Houston Office and TLRA Revenue Cycle
2900 North Loop West
Houston, TX 77092
USView On A Map View Other Locations
Share This Job On
Clinical Appeals Specialist Job in Houston
This position requires the ability to work independently researching and reviewing inquiries from members and providers. Also requires knowledge of benefit interpretation, claims reviews, CPT and ICD coding. Responsible for analyzing, researching, and managing appeal/grievance inventories from members and providers. Respond to inquiries using verbal and written forms of communication.
- Research and provide resolution to issues such as claim denials, member and provider complaints, and reconsideration and redetermination requests
- Review and respond to complaints, grievances and appeals within the stated time frame for each request
- Ensure 95% compliance with the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) guidelines is met by adhering to all state and federal regulations
- Analyze and resolve customer inquiries by adhering to CMS guidelines and CHRISTUS Health internal policies and procedures
- Actively communicate with other associates to guarantee accurate and timely responses to inquiries involving internal/external customer needs
- Be proactive in educating members, providers and others about CHRISTUS Health plans appeal/grievance process, plan terminations, contract terminations and benefit summary
- Certify that providers and members are reimbursed accordingly using Medicare reimbursement policies and procedures
- High School Diploma or equivalency required
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent years of relevant work experience preferred.
- Ability to communicate with multiple levels in the organization (e.g. managers, clinical, and support staff).
- Excellent organizational skills including effective time management, priority setting and process improvement.
- Understands the difference in billing, collections, payments, and refunds for governmental, managed care, and commercial payers.
- Possess an understanding of accounts receivables and claim denials.
- Knowledgeable and/or previous experience in Medicare Recovery Audits and managed care audit processes.
- Clear concise verbal and written communication skills.
- Time management/Decision making/Problem Solving.
- Phone etiquette.
- Multi-tasking ability.
- Able to work independently and within team environment.
- Computer experience in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel).
- Knowledge of general medical terminology, CPT, ICD-9 and ICD-10 coding
- A minimum of (5) years of healthcare customer service, claims, denials, appeals, compliance, or related experience is required.
- Strong background in the healthcare field is required.