Certified Surgical Technologist - Surg General Job in San Antonio
This position is responsible for preparing and passing instruments and equipment for assigned surgical procedures in accordance with hospital and department standards and is responsible for carrying out identified patient care needs delegated by an RN, Physician or Manager/Supervisor. This position fulfills scrub role for patients undergoing complex specialty procedures.
The CHRISTUS Children’s Hospital, established in 1959, was the first children’s hospital in South-Central Texas. Located downtown, this 190-plus-bed hospital serves more than 70,000 children annually from San Antonio, South Texas and around the world. The hospital (in partnership with Baylor College of Medicine) is the only academic children’s hospital in San Antonio. Our highly specialized services meet the unique medical needs of children, from Pediatric and Neonatal Intensive Care to Children’s Emergency Services, the latest treatments for deformities of the spine including titanium rib implants and halo traction, a Heart Center, a specialized asthma program, a highly regarded Cancer and Blood Disorders Center, and growing maternal services to include consultation, delivery, and maternal fetal medicine.
- High school graduate or equivalent is required.
- Completion of surgical technology program is required.
- Two or more years of experience is preferred.
- Ability to proficiently scrub 3 specialty areas including but not limited to: Transplants, Open Heart, Urology, Neurology, Titanium Rib, Robotics etc. is highly preferred.
- Must have knowledge of aseptic technique and be able to competently practice aseptic technique.
- Must demonstrate competency to monitor and control the surgical environment.
- Have the knowledge and ability to operate various types of sterilizing equipment, surgical power equipment, endoscopic equipment, as well as complex instrument systems.
- Must be able to perform as a team member and work in a collaborative relationship with other staff and physicians.
- Computer skills very helpful.
- Must be able to handle multiple demands in the surgical suite.
- Current CPR certification (American Heart Association) is required.
- Must have completed an accredited surgical technology education program AND hold the certification.