Server Engineer II
CHRISTUS System Office
10002 Rogers Run
San Antonio, TX 78251
Share This Job On
Apply Now Server Engineer II Job in San Antonio
The Enterprise Server Engineer II - (ESE II-Server) is a strategic position providing the highest level of technical skill and expertise in Server Engineering as well as a tactical position involved with the execution of Server operations. The ESE II -- Server is responsible for developing and maintaining the enterprise architecture, perform analyses and make recommendations relating to technical, systems and process solution architectures, migration strategies, and IT investment strategies. Responsibilities include managing technology and data architectures, developing data administration and project management standards, defining the enterprise architecture, best practices and ensuring availability and quality of information of all enterprise systems.
The ESE II-Server will provide a framework for stabilizing IT solutions across the enterprise to achieve economies of scale along with reduced, predictable costs for those services and more responsive support for business development.
Day to day activities include, analysis, design, development, implementation, support and documentation functions for hardware and applications utilized within the Microsoft environment to include all aspects of system monitoring, system administration, performance tuning, documentation, installation and troubleshooting any issues related to the above technologies. The position also works as part of a cross-functional team that deals with the full spectrum of technology and will fulfill the role of third level support for storage technologies, providing training and direction to other technical staff that perform the bulk of the first and second level support tasks.
- Strategy & Planning -- Plans and coordinates the future state of the server infrastructure for CHRISTUS information management. Works with Solution Architects to define system rules. Designs storage solutions that meet the information system vision and strategy of the organization; plans, prioritizes, and manages projects, service requests, and routine assignments.
- System Engineering - Analyzes server configurations for critical corporate resources; evaluates changes and additions for proposed system acquisitions and provides critical input to the decision-making process relative to integration, operations, cost, resource requirements, and maintenance; develops plans and recommendations to improve the performance and efficiency of the server architecture; addresses all aspects including hardware, software, outside services, etc.; prevents unplanned disruptions, especially of critical systems.
- System Integration -- Integrates servers components, subsystems, and facilities into the existing technical environment; assesses server systems interoperability, configuration, operational recoverability and impact on other systems; installs, configures, and verifies the operation of server components; maintains or improves integration and operation of systems relative to the overall environment; leads or participates as team member in cross-system projects.
- System Management -- Designs, implements, and oversees a proactive process to collect and report data and statistics on the storage environment; ensures the systems operate efficiently and meet the needs of the organization; ensures they are kept at most current stable version/release using vendor-supplied updates and patches; performs research and testing to verify impact of installing all updates; coordinates vendor support and ensures relationship is never jeopardized; monitors performance of all assigned systems, responds to reports of slow or erratic performance; control of all aspects of the storage network; provides training to IM associates and clients as needed
- Training & Certification - Maintains in-depth knowledge and current certification in server technologies including but not limited to the Server hardware, virtualization, clustering and advanced recovery.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Math or related field or equivalent experience (8 years) required.
- Extensive expert technical knowledge of HP Server hardware subsystems
- Expert knowledge of industry practices and technical systems and a solid understanding of the potential user of technology solutions in a business environment.
- Must have expert knowledge and troubleshooting skills of core Windows components such as Directory Services, LAN/WAN Protocols, Infrastructure services and Internet Information Services.
- Develop and maintain the enterprise Windows architecture strategy and associated reference architectures that are aligned with the enterprise objectives and initiatives and the overall technical strategy with respect to budget, functionality, performance, scalability, reliability, realistic implementation schedules and adherence to architectural goals and principles
- Expert knowledge architecting and administering High Availability clustering application based servers solutions
- Expert knowledge using group polices and Windows shell scripting in meeting automation, configuration management and audit requirements
- Extensive background with RAID systems, Windows and Windows Services configurations Linux and Linux Services configurations, Windows Media Services, Antivirus, E-mail systems, network transports and Backup software/hardware.
- Expert understanding of maintaining server deployment software, configuration management software and advanced recovery of systems.
- ITIL experience working with incident and problem management
- Experience with one or more of the following models is desired:
- HP Proliant and Blade Servers
- Network switches, SAN, NAS, database, VMware and Cisco solutions
- Alteris, HP Rapid Deployment Provisioning, HP Openview, VMware ESX
- Operating Systems -- Windows Server, Enterprise, and Data Center, Red and Suse Linux Enterprise
- A total of eight (8) years of experience in large corporate systems environment with a wide variety of Information Management systems, networks and technologies required.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in enterprise server administrator/engineering/architect role.
- Prior experience in a health care systems environment is a plus
- One or more of the following storage networking certifications required:
- MCSE, MCT, LPI I, LPI II, HP ASE, Redhat RCHE, VMware VCP