Server Engineer I
CHRISTUS System Office
10002 Rogers Run
San Antonio, TX 78251
Share This Job On
Apply Now Server Engineer I Job in San Antonio
The Enterprise Server Engineer I - (ESE I-Server) is a strategic position providing the intermediate level of technical skill and expertise in Server Engineering as well as a tactical position involved with the execution of Server operations. The ESE I -- Server is responsible for developing and maintaining the enterprise architecture, perform analyses and make recommendations relating to technical, systems and process solution architectures, migration strategies, and IT investment strategies. Responsibilities include managing technology and data architectures, developing data administration and project standards, defining the enterprise standards, best practices and ensuring availability and quality of information of all enterprise systems.
Day to day activities include, analysis, design, development, implementation, support, maintenance and documentation functions for hardware and applications utilized within the enterprise environment to include all aspects of system monitoring, system administration, performance tuning, documentation, installation and troubleshooting any issues related to the above technologies. The position also works as part of a cross-functional team that deals with the full spectrum of technology and will fulfill the role of third level support for server technologies, providing training and direction to other technical staff that perform the bulk of the first and second level support tasks.
- Strategy & Planning -- Plans and coordinates the future state of the server infrastructure for CHRISTUS information management. Works with Server Engineering team and/or Solution Architects to define system rules. Designs server solutions that meet the information system vision and strategy of the organization; plans, prioritizes, and manages projects, service requests, and routine assignments.
- System Engineering -- Assist in the analysis of server configurations for critical corporate resources; evaluates changes and additions for proposed system acquisitions and provides critical input to the decision-making process relative to integration, operations, cost, resource requirements, and maintenance; develops plans and recommendations to improve the performance and efficiency of the server architecture; addresses all aspects including hardware, software, outside services, etc.; prevents unplanned disruptions, especially of critical systems.
- System Integration -- Integrates server components, subsystems, and facilities into the existing technical environment; assesses server systems interoperability, configuration, operational recoverability and impact on other systems; installs, configures, and verifies the operation of server components; maintains or improves integration and operation of systems relative to the overall environment; leads or participates as team member in cross-system projects.
- System Management -- Implements, and oversees a proactive process to collect and report data and statistics on the storage environment; ensures the systems operate efficiently and meet the needs of the organization; ensures they are kept at most current stable version/release using vendor-supplied updates and patches; performs research and testing to verify impact of installing all updates; coordinates vendor support and ensures relationship is never jeopardized; monitors performance of all assigned systems, responds to reports of slow or erratic performance; control of all aspects of the storage network; provides training to IM associates and clients as needed
- Training & Certification - Maintains in-depth knowledge and current certification in server technologies including but not limited to the Server hardware, virtualization, clustering and advanced recovery.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Math or related field or equivalent experience (6 years) required.
- Technical knowledge of large-scale enterprise infrastructure hardware to include; virtualization technologies, compute, storage and networking.
- Proficient knowledge of industry practices and technical systems and a solid understanding of the potential user of technology solutions in a business environment.
- Proficient knowledge and troubleshooting skills of core Windows components such as Directory Services, LAN/WAN Protocols, Storage Technologies, Infrastructure services and Internet Information Services or equivalent experience with Linux or Unix platforms.
- Experience administering High Availability, Redundancy and Disaster Recovery solutions.
- Proficient with virtualization solutions, Windows and Windows Services configurations, Linux and Linux Services configurations, Antivirus, E-mail systems, network transports and Backup software/hardware.
- Experience in large-scale server deployment, configuration management software and advanced recovery of systems.
- Experience with one or more of the following models is desired:
- Cisco UCS Hardware
- HP Servers
- Dell PowerEdge
- Network switches, SAN, NAS, database, VMware and Cisco solutions
- VMware, VMware ESX
- Hyper-V Server
- Operating Systems -- Windows Server, Enterprise, and Data Center, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Suse Linux Enterprise, HPUX and AIX.
- A total of six (6) years of experience in large corporate systems environment with a wide variety of Information Management systems, networks and technologies required.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in enterprise server administration or engineering
- Prior experience in a health care systems environment is a plus.
- One or more of the following storage networking certifications recommended:
- Server+(Plus), MCSA, MCSE, MCT, MCP, LPI I, LPI II, HP ASE, Linux System Administrator, Redhat RHCE, VMware VCA, VMware VCP.