RN Paient Navigator
CHRISTUS Central Louisiana/St. Frances Cabrini
Registered Nurse (RN)
CHRISTUS St Frances Cabrini-40100
3330 Masonic Dr
Alexandria, LA 71301
Share This Job On
Apply Now RN Paient Navigator Job in Alexandria
The Patient Navigator functions on the multidisciplinary team as an advocate, interpreter, educator, and counselor for oncology patients. Patient Navigator is responsible for ensuring all adult patients with an oncology diagnosis receive quality and comprehensive services. Patient Navigator will coordinate patient care throughout the entire continuum of cancer care in collaboration with the multidisciplinary team. Patient Navigator will serve as a clinical resource with expertise in hematology/oncology care management. Patient Navigator will serve as a liaison throughout the facility and in the community regarding services provided for this unique patient population. Patient Navigator will provide expert nursing care which includes direct clinical practice, consultation, and education.
Action Oriented -- Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy and enthusiasm.
Collaborate -- Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
Customer Focus -- Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
Nimble Learning -- Actively learning through experimentation when tackling new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
Demonstrates Self-Awareness -- Using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
Communicates Effectively -- Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
Decision Quality -- Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- To recruit and enroll patients into LBCHP who meet appropriate LBCHP requirement;
- Provides education on the importance of breast and cervical cancer screening
- To help patients overcome individual and system-level barriers in order to ensure timely and quality screening and diagnostic appointments are completed;
- To report outreach and patient navigation activities in program databases; and
- To work closely with providers to ensure appropriate pap tests, clinical breast exams, and consultation and appropriate diagnostic test or procedures are performed to determine a cervical or breast cancer diagnosis.
- Serves as a single point of contact for the patient to cancer treatment services
- Follows patients throughout the course of treatment and ensures resources are available and needs are met.
- Assists in scheduling all testing as necessary
- Facilitates scheduling of treatment as necessary.
- Makes a patient visit in the hospital the day following surgery as applicable
- Assists the patient in accessing /scheduling consult with Breast Cancer Rehabilitation Program
- Assists in scheduling/accessing need for additional services and resources such as Social Work, Nutrition, post-surgical garments, wigs, prostheses, and financial support services and resources
- Maintains required patient record per required processes once "transferred" to Breast Survivorship Clinic
- Assists with removing barriers that may interfere with or disrupt treatment such as lack of transportation
- Provides education and information to the patient and family, helping to make the care seamless, continuous, and comprehensive.
- Responds to patient request for information regarding the disease process, expected side effects of treatment, and community resources
- Uses appropriate patient education documentation and tracking system
- Assists in coordination of end of life plans for the patient and provides emotional support as requested
- Reviews reports with abnormal or suspicious findings on a daily basis
- Initiates contact with Primary Care or referring physician and provides report.
- Initiates contact with patient and sets up a follow-up diagnostic visit. (Timeframe 3 working days or less).
- Meets with patient at time of diagnostic visit and provides information on what to expect.
- Assists physician(s) as requested in communicating results and educating patient following diagnostics, and informs the patient of the comprehensive breast program.
- Coordinates cancer treatment with other disciplines involved.
- Involves allied health team members, as necessary
- Actively participates in monthly Breast Tumor Conferences assisting Tumor Register as necessary to collect data, track outcomes, and support strategic planning processes
- Utilizes standardized care protocols in accordance with nationally recognized care guidelines
- Delivers quarterly written and oral report to Cancer Committee and other groups as requested which documents outcomes and performance improvement activities.
- Maintains a pleasant and professional appearance providing ongoing emotional support to patient and family, in dealing with physicians and other members of the multi-disciplinary team, and as a representative of team to the community
- Communicates with all members of the healthcare team about patient and family needs and concerns
- Provides well-coordinated, timely, compassionate, and exemplary care
- Initiates and performs ongoing review of policies related to service provided. Where appropriate, updates or writes new policies to enhance processional practice.
- Serves as a resource for community educational events such as health fairs, screenings, symposiums, and lectures as well as staff education related to breast health and breast cancer
- Works closely with the Oncology Research staff to maintain a current knowledge of breast cancer related protocols and assist in referral of patients
- For protocol accrual.
- Teaches Self-Breast Examination.
- Uses computer system(s) appropriately.
- Documents in the medical record according to policy/procedure.
- Complies with incident reporting and notification requirements.
- Attends/reviews department staff meetings for information.
- Assists others as necessary, always using time constructively.
6. OBTAINS KNOWLEDGE OF, AND DEMONSTRATES COMPLIANCE WITH INFECTION CONTROL POLICIES AND PROCEDURES.
- Practices Standard Precautions in patient care activities.
- Practices appropriate disease specific isolation as required.
- Appropriately handles and disposes of sharps.
- Allows for privacy and modesty in the provision of care.
- Identifies self by name and title to patient/family
- Reports suspected cases of abuse/neglect, if identified.
- Understands role of, and how to access, the Ethics Committee.
- Establishes presence of consent prior to treatment/procedure.
- Current RN license
- Experience in breast cancer/women's health preferred
- Requires problem solving, decision making, and critical thinking.
- Requires excellent leadership, organizational, written, and verbal communication and excellent interpersonal skills.
Must be able to work in a self-directed environme
- Experience in breast cancer/women's health preferred.
- Current Louisiana RN License