Under the direction of the Manager, the Project Manager determines user demands, establishes work priorities, and plans; directs and monitors project work. Maintains project issues and reports to Committee of Directors and communicate to local steering teams on progress of critical path items. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. The Project Manager will gather and evaluate information concerning a user's conceptual needs, estimate and schedule project activities and associated costs, coordinate and participate in analysis/design/coding activities, ensure that system changes are fully tested, ensure users are fully trained and prepared, associated guideline and procedure requirements are met, and coordinate implementation of the changes. Status / report of all active projects will be reported to Committee of Directors on a real time basis.
- Confers with representatives of user departments regarding information systems capabilities, the feasibility of developing specific information systems, and the determination of system requirements and modifications.
- Oversees the conduct of feasibility studies, the preparation of Case For Change (CFC) and Total Cost of Ownership (TCO), time study estimates, and progress reports on assigned projects.
- Serves as a project manager on major complex systems programming and/or implementation projects.
- Oversees assigned projects including monitoring project and budgetary performance and compliance with applicable specifications, rules, regulations and laws related to business, managed care and clinical applications, preparation of initial and final systems design and documentation necessary for delivery to customer, systems and programming; insures quality and timeliness of work performed and final products.
- Develops, plans, and monitors project budget(s) and is responsible for delivering business and computer system applications within budget estimates, using current business and project management metrics.
- Confers with hardware and software vendors; assists with the evaluation and selection of contract firms providing programming and analysis services and may assist in contract negotiations with vendors.
- Performs quality assurance functions which include validating the quality of hardware and software applications, developing test plans and strategies, conducting detailed research and analysis on software and hardware applications, and providing recommendations for application improvements.
- Coordinates computer programming and system support associated with applications projects; may troubleshoot hardware and software application problems; and identifies, recommends and implements system improvements, modifications, and upgrades.
- Oversees projects to develop and implement large or complex computer software applications; designs, configures and tests system software and debugs or troubleshoots user software problems.
- Establishes schedules and methods for achieving project goals and objectives; and reviews work products, makes corrections and coordinates staff training and development efforts.
- Relationship Management: Develops relationships with departments based upon industry knowledge, and how technology application can lead to competitive advantage. Sets direction based upon prioritized projects. Oversees projects and budgets. Recommends technology related investments. Understands local issues and personalities. Advises local and corporate steering teams. Insures projects are made up of the right people with the appropriate skill sets. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Training: Works with Vendors on the following:
- Planning for and ensuring preparation and maintenance of documentation pertaining to programming, systems operation and user documentation.
- Translating business specifications into user documentation.
- Planning, writing, and overseeing user support documentation efforts, including online help screens.
- Insuring training of users in the operation and functionality of computer applications and the related business processes.
- Validating competency of users in utilization of information systems prior to systems go-live or major changes.
- Insuring super-users or other support personnel are in place at go-live, and succession planning is documented to insure ongoing competency support in facilities and departments affected by new systems being implemented or upgraded.
- Requirements Definition:Reviews, analyzes, and evaluates systems and user needs. Works with IM and stakeholders to formulate system parameters to parallel overall business strategies. Oversees development of detailed description of user-required program functions, and steps required for developing, implementing and/or modifying computer programs.
- Technical Analysis Design, and Development and Software Quality Assurance: Supports implementation of software applications. Provides oversight in the design and development of software applications, interfaces and custom programming, and testing processes through definition of test plans, test review and analysis, test witnessing and certification of software. Familiar with standard testing concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Performs quality assurance functions which include validating the quality of hardware and software applications, developing test plans and strategies, conducting detailed research and analysis on software and hardware applications, and providing recommendations for application improvements. Insures test plans are executed by qualified personnel and that test results are documented. Insures that systems are brought live only after full validation of functionality based on results of testing and resolution of issues, including technical resolution and/or development of work-arounds acceptable to end-user and IM departmental leadership.
- Application Functional Support: Reviews, analyzes, and evaluates application functionality. Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the supported application. Understands best practices in functional area. Diagnoses application problems and issues using prescribed testing techniques. Designs and executes unit and integration test plans for business reviews. Insures documentation of business processes/flowcharts, departmental guidelines and procedures necessary to support integration of applications with business/clinical processes.
- System Architectural Planning: Insures engineering, architecture, and design of technology infrastructure to support software products. Works with technical experts to develop project plans, budgets, and technical specifications.
- System Integration Planning: Designs plans for interfacing and integrating various software packages as necessary. Has a working knowledge of middle-ware and database techniques used to exchange information between applications. Familiar with standard concepts, practices and procedures within this field.
A. Education/ Skills:
- Bachelor's degree in Information Management or a related field required.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Project
- Must have two to four years previous experience working on information technology project teams and in obtaining customer requirements and other analysis activities.
- Previous experience managing projects of small to medium scope and complexity.
C. Licenses, Registrations, or Certifications:
- PMI Certification strongly preferred.