Certified Medical Assistant
CHRISTUS Physician Group/Ambulatory
CPG Schumpert Region Admin-47644
9220 Ellerbe Road
Shreveport, LA 71106
Share This Job On
Apply Now Certified Medical Assistant Job in Shreveport
Assists in the delivery of primary health care and patient care management.MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs selected clinical and administrative duties.
- Prepares patients for examination and treatment.
- Prepares exam and treatment rooms with necessary instruments. Utilizes knowledge of sterile technique and infection control procedures requires to clean and disinfect rooms and equipment, sterilizes instruments as needed.
- Prepares and maintains inventory supplies and equipment for treatments, including sterilization.
- Assists provider in preparing for minor surgeries or physicals.
- Assists with scheduling of tests, treatments and referrals.
- Screens telephone calls for referral to nurse or provider or referral specialist as indicated.
- May order and maintain clinical and office supplies and equipment.
- Maintains patient files, record and other information in a professional manner following policy and procedures regarding documentation.
- Complies and condenses technical and statistical data for reports and records.
- Attends required meetings and participates in committees as requested.
- Participates in professional development activities and maintains professional affiliations.
- Follows the CHRISTUS Physician Group guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
- Maintains strict confidentiality.
- Uses oral and written communication skills to effectively convey ideas in a clear, positive manner that is consistent with the CHRISTUS Mission.
- Maintains established CHRISTUS Physician Group policies, procedures, objectives, quality assurance, safety, environmental and infection control.
- Implements job responsibilities in a manner that is consistent with the CHRISTUS Mission and Code of Ethics and supportive of CHRISTUS Physician Group's cultural diversity objectives.
- Supports and adheres to CPG Service Guarantee.Greets patients and visitors in a prompt, courteous, and helpful manner.
- Checks in patients, verifies and updates necessary information in the medical record; enters patient demographics and insurance information into the computer. Assists patients with completing all necessary forms. Assists patients with ambulatory difficulties. Notifies the nurse when a patient is ready.
- May be required to maintain appropriate levels of cash and balance cash drawer per company procedure.
- May process payments received in person and by mail. Records, totals and prepares monies for deposit according to company procedure.
- May be responsible for cross-checking tickets and correcting all detected errors; notifies supervisor and patient of corrections. Reconciles daily charge tickets within established guidelines.
- Refers patients to supervisor or Accounts Receivable representative for clarification or discussion of account and/or payment terms, within the guidelines of the collections policy.
- Participates with other staff to follow up on accounts until no balance or the account is turned over for collection. This will be performed within the guidelines of the collections policies.
- Operation and maintenance of credit and collection equipment and supplies inventory. Maintains appropriate supply inventory.
- The following duties may also be performed:
- Maintains appointment book, either manually or electronically, and follows office scheduling policies.
- Answers telephone, screens calls, takes messages and provides information.
- Files charts, coordinates lab work, physician's report, etc. Places transcription in appropriate medical record accurately and in a timely manner; tracks transcription to insure that dictation is transcribed and properly located in the correct medical record.
- Assists supervisor with other administrative duties such as preparing check requests, calculating employee time cards, etc.
- Type correspondence as directed. Sorts and delivers mail, medical records, and other correspondence.
- Screens visitors and responds to routine requests for information.
- Maintains work area and lobby in neat and orderly manner.
- Performs other related work as required
- High school graduation or GED. Graduate from an Accredited Program for Medical Assistants. (Has a diploma from an accredited school preferred). Knowledge of ICD9, CPT and HCPCS coding and managed care contracts is desirable
- Previous private office experience preferred.
- Current CPR certification.