The CHRISTUS Health Plan Accounting Lead is responsible for statutory financial reporting, support, and general accounting functions. This includes all preparation of annual and quarterly NAIC statements, assisting and reviewing monthly journal entries, and review of monthly bank reconciliations. This position acts as backup to the Accounting Manager and is expected to accurately perform the critical work activities of that position such as performing month end close procedures. Additionally, this position will review the work performed by the Accounting and Financial analysis staff in the unit to support the various reconciliations being performed, and assist in the training of the Accounting Support Staff. From time to time this role will be asked to perform some ad-hoc research projects, which will require a thorough analysis of financial and non-financial data.
- Acts as a subject matter expert in Statutory Accounting Principles as detailed in the NAIC Accounting Practices and Procedures Manual.
- Acts as backup to the Accounting Manager and able to perform month end close
- Procedures to reconcile all general ledger accounts, cash entries, accounts payable, able to provide Corporate Accounting the appropriate reconciled worksheets.
- Possess a sufficient knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Prepare journal entries in accordance with GAAP.
- Play a significant role in the creation of a "Policies & Procedures" library related to processes performed in CHP-Accounting.
- Participate in, and at times, conduct meetings with Corporate Accounting to resolve significant accounting issues affecting CHP and/or the CHRISTUS facilities.
- Responsible for all system processes, data entry and reconciliation functions associated with manual cash posting activities.
- Responsible for the completion of the cash management functions used to transfer monies between CHRISTUS affiliate entities.
- Assist in the training of Accounting Support Specialists for the various tasks related to that role.
- Assist in the creation of cost-effective & time-efficient automated accounting processes.
- Ensure that all cash posting is reconciled on a monthly basis and errors or variances are accurately logged.
- Adhere to timeframes and deadlines for all payment posting and reporting functions.
- Ensure all key reports, journals, and documents are accurately labeled and stored for permanent records each month.
- Perform other special projects as required or assigned.
- Maintains professional growth, skills, and competencies to continuously improve the quality of services provided.
- Master's degree or equivalent in Accounting or Finance
- CPA or CPA eligible actively pursuing certificatio
- Must be able to work in a team environment, prioritize and organize multiple tasks, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to initiate and follow through on projects and work independently with minimal supervision required.
- Excellent written and time management skills required
- Advanced verbal and interpersonal skills to effectively interface with stakeholders and vendors
- Public accounting background with healthcare specific experience strongly preferred.
- NAIC Statutory Accounting exposure preferred.
- Experience using MEDITECH software preferred.
- Three to five years' work experience.
- Solid knowledge and utilization of PC applications to include WORD and EXCEL.
- Must have advanced skill set in EXCEL and working knowledge of ACCESS databases.
C. Licenses, Registrations, or Certifications:
- CPA or CPA eligible pursuing certification